Knit 2 Par 3

Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Worst Case Scenario

We went to Maine for a short little trip over the weekend, and I planned to devote the weekend to completing the second Wendy D sock using the Catnip pattern. I did not bring any other knitting. I felt so free! Just one project in one big ziplock bag.

(First, take a deep breath and concentrate on this picture of the beach to calm your excitement. As you can see, it was a typical summer weekend day there and quite crowded):


Okay feel better from looking at that picture? I know I do. I'd call this sock the Worst Case Scenario sock. It has a lace pattern, a rib pattern, a reinforced heel knitted from the toe up. I used a varigated yarn with a lot of varigation. In a chartreuse colorway. On size zero needles! So much to go wrong.

(Take a minute to look at thie canoe we saw on one of the many bike rides I required John to take so that I could get away from these socks):


Everything went wrong with this sock. The lace pattern was way too busy for the yarn. This is a very common problem, probably worthy of a DSM 4 entry, Plus, the pattern was a multiple of 7 stitches and 7 rows which made it impossible for me to memorize. And size zero needles, 'nuff said.

The heel, though, was a shambles. Reader, there is nothing wrong with the pattern or the way it is written: I blame myself. My W& T skills need a lot of work. I miscounted, I K2TOG for no good reason. The heel came out real bad, almost unrecognizable and with something that looked like a bobble on the side. Could it be saved?

I consulted this book, and found no answers. I thought about ripping it back to the sock gusset, but I just don't love the pattern or the yarn enough to re-knit. I decided to just keep on knitting and not look down there at the heel, not ever again.

If I had been thinking I would have brought along my usual 3 or 4 UFOs and even one new thing to cast on. But I wasn't thinking and I was not prepared and disaster struck my happy home.

Don't let this happen to you! Here is the Knit 2 Par 3 Travel Knitting Worst Case Scenario Survival Guide. Print it out, put it in your stash bin, and learn from me so you don't have to learn the hard way.

1. Never leave for a relaxing weekend vacation without at least 3 unfinished objects.

That's it. A simple solution for a devastating problem.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Jeanne said...

Ugh - sounds terrible. Sorry that you had a bad knitting weekend - I'm surprised you didn't pop into a yarn store up there! Hope the rest of your weekend was wonderful

7/16/2009 08:37:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home